Well as much as a working wife and mother can manage I have been having a quilt-a-thon here lately. I have been staying off the computer and using my computer time to sew.
But first I needed to get my sewing area cleaned up. Since Christmas is over and Rodger is still off work we are doing some things around the house. We're planning to paint our bedroom this Spring so I'm looking at the changes I plan to make then. So I started with my sewing corner. I don't have a separate sewing room but we are blessed with a large enough bedroom that I can use a corner for sewing.
First I moved my rulers and cutting mats. And then Tasha came across this great piece of luggage that I had forgotten she had. It was my mom's so it's from around the 60s. It's a medium sized round case. It's not in the best of shape but it's great for putting quilts in. Most of the quilts in it are older baby quilts.
The quilts stacked beside it are mostly yard sale finds with one or two from eBay thrown in.
So here's how it ended up. Rodger gave me the chair for Christmas. I have a bad back and he said as much time as I spend there I needed a better chair (I was using one from the dining room). The wall hanging is the one I made to put my show pins on (be sure to check out my high tech fancy quilt hanger. lol.)
Once I was all set up it was time to quilt. At Christmas I found out my niece was having a baby - in January. So since January is almost over I decided I really ought to get moving on this quilt. I normally do very simply baby quilts. I want the quilts to get used and if they are too fancy I'm afraid they'll end up in a box in the closet. So I did a charm quilt. I knew the baby would be a girl but I didn't want to do the typical bubble gum pink you see for baby girls. So I did rosey colors and mossy greens. I did something different with this one - a totally random placement of the fabric. I think it looks nice (Rodger doesn't agree with me lol). Every thing went along fine until I did the binding. Since the quilt was very simple I decided to put the border on with a decorative stitch. What a nightmare. I didn't like the way it looked but taking it out was awful. I must have spent at least two hours pulling those stitches out. I decided to redo it with a straight stitch and even that gave me trouble. But I am happy to say that I finished it up Sunday night. And not a moment too soon because I got an email this morning that Rebekkah was born Monday morning.
With all the problems I had with this quilt I didn't get as much done on other projects as I would have liked. However I did get one block done on the log cabin I am starting. The first block actually. I got a great Judy Martin book for Christmas and the Kentucky Home pattern is the one I'm doing. I only got one block done Sunday but I got four more done yesterday and when I get finished here I'm going to go do a few more. I'm loving how this is turning out.
Well I'm off to get some more cleaning and sewing done. But before I go Thunder wanted to say hello. He's a bit tuckered out because he's been playing in the boys room.
Until next time, hugs and stitches. Jody