Thursday, January 15, 2009

First Finish of 2009

Woo Hoo! I've completed the first quilt of the year. It's a roosting robin I started last summer with my favorite online group.



I can tell this will be a favorite. Since I discovered fusible web I have fallen in love all over again with applique. And the colors are my favorite - green and pink with some black thrown in for some pop. And it's a roosting robin. I'm really enjoying doing the roosting and round robins. It's so much fun to make a quilt with a group but I just enjoy the format of a robin.

I have a plan to finish up another quilt on the to be quilted list rather quickly. I'm going to birth the spring quilt and tie it. Since it's a spring patterned fabric I decided to make it a lightweight thrown. I thought birthing a quilt was a well known term but some friends weren't aware of it so I'll explain quickly. You take the backing and lay it right sides together with the top. Then you stitch around the outside of the two layers and leave a space to turn it right side out. After you turn it you close up the opening and then you can quilt it, tie it or just leave it like it is.

The push to finish up some things is purely selfish - I have found some things I want to make. lol. It's my own fault for tempting fate. I had some magazines and books in my Daddy's attic since Christmas 2007. I brought them home a couple of weeks ago and sat down and looked through every single one of them. I weeded out all the "oh isn't that cute, I should make that" patterns and only kept the ones that I honestly think I will actually ever make. Decluttering is the goal and I'm going to list all my magazines and books that I can on eBay. Hopefully I'll sell them and cut down on my clutter and make a few dollars in the process.

A couple of new projects I will need to add to the list are a fireplace quilt. We ordered a fireplace last week. It's a portable one but it can be placed flat against the wall or in a corner. The plan is to try it both ways in different areas in the living room. Once we decide how we like it best Rodger will build us a custom fireplace. But we want a quilt to hang above it wherever it ends up. And we want a wallhanging for over our bed. We've been talking about this for some time - we want to repaint our room. It hasn't been painted since we moved in (more than 11 years ago) and it's white (gasp! lol). We'd like to try some color. Since we figure it's unlikely he'll be back to work before summer he's hoping to paint a few rooms as soon as it's nice enough to have the windows and doors open. The new project that started the ball rolling is an adorable sheep wallhanging in the current issue of Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting. I've never taken particular notice of sheep - as to like them or dislike them - but this wallhanging is so adorable. I want to change the colors a bit (leave out the red and replace it with green) and use it in my dining room.

Well my goodness I got a bit long winded there. lol. Quilting is a passion.

In other news Thunder has become a big boy. He had his first birthday a couple of weeks ago. We got him another bed like he got for Christmas. We got it for in the living room because the floors are hardwood and he loves it so much that we got him one for in the bedroom to use at night. Here he is showing his naughty side:



Until next time, hugs and stitches, Jody

No comments: