Monday, June 22, 2009

A Great Book and Some Quilting

As I said, I have been doing a lot more reading that quilting (although there is some of that too). Yesterday I finished Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas:



I am familiar with the name but not the work of Sandra Dallas and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will be looking for another of her books very soon. This one is set in 1936 in Middle Swan, Colorado and has for it's two main characters Hennie Comfort and Nit Spindle. Hennie is 86, likes to tell stories and quilt. Nit is 17, likes to hear stories and quilt. While Hennie was telling Nit stories it took me back to a time when I was much younger and I sat around in my Grandmother's backyard listening to my Mom and Dad and my aunts and uncles tell stories.

We learn of Hennie's life through the stories she tells Nit. There are some twists and turns and some great surprises. I highly recommend this one.

As far as the quilting goes, unfortunately there are still no pictures. I have my daughter's graduation quilt top done but she doesn't want to see it until the entire quilt is finished. So we're in a holding pattern until I can get the backing pieced, then sandwich and quilt it before I can post a picture.

Another "almost ready but not quite" project is the June block of the Tisket, Tasket BOM. The applique is all done but I need to do some embroidery and put on the buttons.

Until next time, hugs and stitches. Jody

No comments: