Thursday, April 28, 2011

Two done and a bit of an unusual project

More than a year ago, I purchased some embroidered Sunbonnet Sue blocks on eBay. I had a terrible time figuring out what to do with them. For one thing, I don't think the colors the lady who made them used all worked well together - but I wanted to use all the blocks together.

Finally I gave up on trying to find a block to center them in and decided the best way to go would be a simple sashing with a fabric that would work with all the different colors and not detract from the beauty of the embroidery.

And this is what I came up with:



In the past year or so, a number of ladies in my quilting guild made lovely bags called Mini Bow Tucks bags. I have made a few bags and decided I would give this one a try too. Of course, being me, I couldn't make it exactly as the pattern called for - the straps were much too short for me. And that really sounds funny because I'm a short girl. But I like my bag to fall about my hip level.

I finished it up today and I'm very pleased with how it turned out:



I've mentioned before the wonderful Yahoo group I am a part of. This year the two lovely ladies who run the group have come up with some interesting challenges for us. I posted about the first quarter's challenge - a UFO challenge.

The challenge we are doing right now is called the Weird and Ugly Challenge. Everyone participating received a piece of quite interesting fabric. We have until June 30 to come up with a project. There will be voting so I won't be posting my finished project here until probably mid July but to whet your appetite - here's a view of the fabric we have to work with:



I have an idea and have even started working on it. So check back in a bit and see what I came up with.

And of course before I go, Thunder wants to show off his Easter basket, um, bone.



Until next time, hugs and stitches. Jody

3 comments:

Chris said...

That ugly fabric is just screaming stack and whack LOL

Deanna said...

Your Sunbonnet Sue Solution is really appropriate. The blue background is perfect and the spacing original. Good luck with the ugly fabric--hopefully inspiration will strike!

BarbC said...

Love the SBS and the Bag... too cute!

Thunder reminds me of Mia with that bone in his mouth. She crams 2 much smaller versions in her mouth and walks around so proud of herself. LOL!

Barb