Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Charming Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day!

I did manage to do a bit of sewing today. The first thing I did was the president's block for my guild's outgoing president - and none too soon. I have to take it to the meeting tomorrow night - nothing like waiting until the last minute. lol. We were supposed to use a bright citrusy fabric so this is what I came up with:



The kit they handed out included some Thangles. I'm probably the last quilter on the face of the earth to use Thangles. They are wonderful! I'm sure I'm going to be using these again.

I almost finished my diningroom wallhanging. I still need to put a hanging sleeve on it.



Mother's Day is a hard holiday for me. My mom has been gone almost ten years. I can manage her birthday, Christmas and all the other holidays okay but Mother's Day frequently finds me falling apart. Mom was not big on jewelry. She mainly wore her wedding ring and that was all. For special occasions she had a charm bracelet. I have a charm necklace. Each charm represents something in my life. It's getting rather heavy so I don't wear it too often but I love it dearly. I can take it out and look at the charms and remember special times and special people.



These charms will be added today.

Last year we went to National Zoo in DC. One of the things we all were thrilled to see was an orangutan that was loose in the zoo. It played on the wires above the trees. It was such a lot of fun to watch.



Years and years ago Rodger and I used to play cards every weekend. We started here in PA with our best friends and my in-laws - Spades, May I and Pinochle were the favored games. We continued when we moved to NY where we mostly played Spades although we threw in some games of May I now and then.



And this one is a birthstone ring.



All in all - it's been a good day.

Hugs and stitches. Jody

No comments: